There are many categories and methods of reserach, many of which overlap and exist as only vague categories, including:
- TheoreticalThis can include modeling of a system using a computer, studying a miniaturized version of a system to develop a theory, or any other type of research that has no immediate concrete goal.
- Field StudyPrimarily this involves collecting various data and samples from a field site.
- Technology/MethodThis involves a practical approach to developing a particular technology or method for future research. The project itself has theoretical value, but its primary goal lies in developing the tools necessary for a later project.
- Applied ResearchThis is research done for a specific practical aim. This includes projects sponsored by corporations seeking to develop a marketable technology.
- Benchworkrefers to working at a laboratory bench, working on assays, genetic manipulations, or other tasks performed at the bench.
- Tissue Culture/Organism CareCulturing a tissue for study or treatment, or raising/caring for organism for study or treatments.
Finding a Research Lab: Getting your hands dirty or very clean